Disney Proposal

So as you may have seen on my Instagram we recently had the most magical holiday ever in Walt Disney World Orlando. AND as you may have also seen...WE GOT ENGAGED!!! While I'll definitely be doing a Disney blog soon I just wanted this one to be dedicated to our first full day and the story of our engagement.

First off I should start by saying that while I understand it's not for everyone, Disney World is and always will be my favourite place on earth. I don't care if it's childish, sad or not cool. I LOVE DISNEY...so just deal with it, ok?! 


We'd been planning to go back to Disney for the boyfriend’s mum’s birthday for quite a while. They'd all gone together 5 years beforehand and she'd always said she wanted to go back for her 50th and I was definitely not going to argue with that!

Now with that in mind, a few months before our mega-trip the boyfriend told me he was planning a surprise family photo shoot on our first day, in aid of his Mum’s birthday and it would of course be in front of the castle. He went on to explain that he’d been in touch with someone at Disney World for a ‘couple of months’ to sort it all out. Naturally I started crying, this is the typical kind of thing he'd do because he's ridiculously thoughtful and loves surprising people and in all honesty the thought of his Mum’s face when she found out about the surprise just made me lose it.

Anyway, fast forward to the night before... We've all landed, checked into the hotel and me, the boyfriend and all his family are around the pool at the hotel. This is when he’s telling them about the surprise photo shoot and how we all need to get up early and dress up for it. Needless to say, everyone’s excited and cannot wait for the next day!

The next morning bright and early we leave the hotel for our first full day in a Disney park together, Magic Kingdom. As usual in Orlando the sun is shining, the Disney Cast Members are as friendly as ever and the 8 of us are making our way to catch the the ferry across to the park. Inevitably there’s a lot of tears from pretty much everyone in the group cos in all honesty we are all massive Disney wusses.




After the obligatory selfies outside Magic Kingdom and having all mentally prepared ourselves for the most magical day ever we make our way inside. Once in the park you can’t help but be taken aback by the smell of candyfloss and the most joyful and incredibly upbeat music, it's a force to be reckoned with I tell ya. Its at this point though that the boyfriend has to pop into City Hall (the information desk to normal people) to check some last minute details with the Disney Cast Members on the photo shoot plan. Before you know it and after most likely a hundred or so photos between ourselves, the boyfriend is back and we’re all off walking down Main Street USA, towards Cinderella’s Castle. Bear in mind that the whole time he seems completely cool as a cucumber and not stressed at all, an amazing feat given that he is normally abysmal at hiding his emotions!

We reach one of the pretty green areas off to the right of the castle and a cast member asks if we'd like to come over for a photo shoot. Naturally you say yes, I didn’t get dressed up for nothing, so we head over to an exclusive area, roped off to the public, with an amazing view of the castle in the background and we get our vogue on. After what seemed like literally a couple of seconds and snaps (the photos say otherwise) the photographer suggests pictures of all the couples, so each couple takes it in turn. Me and the boyfriend are up last and are having some nice coupley photos taken when the photographer stops and asks if she can have my sunglasses, well why not. I pass them over to her for what seemed like a split second and as I turn round I see the boyfriend getting some paper out his pocket. He unfolds it and begins by addressing me in my full name, middle name and everything, and the sassy black woman in me is all ‘Ooo child this is it, get your game face on!’ But instead of the intended game face he gets my blubbering mess face...perfect! As you may have noticed none of the photos show the entirety of my face...you're welcome ;)




Half way through his A4 printed speech he begins to talk about two people that are very special to both of us but especially me that he couldn't do the next bit without. So naturally, as we’re in Disney World, I started looking for Mickey & Minnie or Beauty and the Beast. So you can imagine my shock and surprise when he shouts ‘YOU CAN COME OUT NOW!’ and it’s not Minnie & Mickey running towards me but my Mum and Little Sister!!! I don’t think anyone, including myself, was prepared for the noise that came out of my mouth.

After a lot of hugging, crying, confusion and clinging to my Mum for dear life I turned back to the boyfriend to find him down on one knee with a little box in hand and a big question on his lips. I wish I could say I was cool, calm and collected in my response but hey, it's me, so behind a sea of tears and a beaming smile I nodded and excitably replied with a loving yes! I mean after a proposal like that who in their right mind would say anything else?!




The next 30 minutes just flew by, celebratory photos, warm wishes, hugs, congratulatory kisses and phone calls to family members, all a bit of a blur really. I am not one to be quiet but for the remainder of the day I truly understood the term lost for words. It literally felt like I was walking around in a fog at the rate my brain was functioning and I was prone to bursting into tears without any warning or prompting...still am actually.

Following the initial shock and still continuing the boyfriend’s ‘50th surprise plan’ for his Mum, we all then went and celebrated our engagement and the fact that we were all together with a beautiful breakfast in Beast’s Castle was the literal icing on the cake. The boyfriend had reserved the table for us, but unbeknownst to him the ever-amazing Disney staff had gone that one step further by scattered confetti all over our table, decorating it it with congratulatory messages and an array of stunning cupcakes! We even got the grey stuff...and it was delicious, singing candlesticks don’t lie!


Our Disney World holiday was hands down my favourite holiday ever. But the day my wonderful, caring and downright surprising boyfriend made all my Disney Princess dreams come true and became my fiance is my favourite story, memory and day all rolled into one.



To all the staff that helped make our dreams a reality thank you so much. To all our sneaky friends and family, you can breathe easy now, you tricksters! And last but by no means least to my fiance, thank you. Words will never properly describe just how much you mean to me.

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Nachos and Wine. Designed by OddThemes