Secret Cinema presents Moulin Rouge

Image result for moulin rouge poster
The boyfriend and I first experienced Secret Cinema in 2015 when they did Star Wars. I'm not a massive Star Wars fan (please don't hate me!) so wasn't too fussed but had bought tickets as a birthday surprise for the boy. I actually had to do my homework on the day and watched Revenge of the Sith beforehand so I was up to date with the whole intergalactic revelations for the next one, A New Hope.


As a complete Star Wars newbie I was still completely blown away by the level of detail that Secret Cinema went into to literally transport us to another world.


After that we were hooked and vowed to go to all Secret Cinema productions...within reason. I hate hate hate zombie/scary films so outright refused to attend their 28 Days Later event.

Last summer we went to Dirty Dancing and had the time of our lives... see what I did there ;) So this year when we heard that they were doing Moulin Rouge one of our favourite films with fab musical numbers we signed up straightaway.


For those of you that have never gone to Secret Cinema, before here's some advice:
  • Go whole hog with your costume, yes you'll feel like a tit on the tube dressed up as a Parisian hooker but if you don't then you'll feel like a prize melon when you get to the event itself
  • Remember your characters missions/tasks
  • Interact with as many actors as possible to get the most out of it
  • The price is steep but trust me it's worth it
  • Let go and enjoy yourself!


Once we arrived at the top secret location (Canning Town), we were directed by French ushers to the entrance. To keep the magic and mystery alive all phones are turned off and placed in Jiffy bags. Initially I hated this, how was I meant to document the experience and show off to people but you quickly realise that if everyone was allowed phones it would turn into pretty much every experience anyone has had at a gig this century, a sea of phones and you watching the action off of someone else's screen.
Secret Cinema Moulin Rouge rose props money names characters


Through the doors we were welcomed into the smoky underbelly of Paris with a host of accordion players, life drawing classes, operatic singers, drag queens, dancers and ‘drunks’ aplenty. (All actors, though as the night went on many members of the public took on the latter role)


We were pretty hungry so went through into the circus high top tent to find some decent grub and get our bearings. There's loads of food stalls with a wide variety of choices. I went for the raclette and the boy went for the duck burger, mine was the best...obviously. I wouldn't say they were reasonably priced but about what you expect for a London food truck in Shoreditch.


When it was finally time for the show to start we had already had a drink in a bar with the children of the revolution, sang along with the cast in the street and seen a not so great play acted out by unwitting members of the public.


The only way I can sum up my first impression on entrance to the Cinema theatre is phenomenal. It was as though we were walking into the film and into the Moulin Rouge itself. With the Bollywood version of Diamonds are a girl’s best friend blasting out and dancers on the stage the atmosphere was electric. This was then followed by Black Skinhead and N*ggas in Paris which whipped everyone into a frenzy.


The film itself was the absolute highlight. The choreography was incredible, I take my hat off to the dancers and actors for bringing the Moulin Rouge to life before our eyes. My favourite song is Roxanne and they did not disappoint with getting the emotion of the song across.

I know this is kind of a review but I really don't want to give too much away. All I will say is if you're looking for a great memory, go experience Secret Cinema, the only time in your life when a drag queen can-canning to Kanye West will ever make sense!

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Nachos and Wine. Designed by OddThemes