Galeries Lafayette - Paris

When my boyfriend suggested the idea of a weekend in Paris after having seen the cleverly boosted post-Christmas Eurostar ads on social media all manner of ideas begun popping into my head and at that point I obviously took to Instagram and Pinterest to find out the best places to visit in the city of love. I already had some things I knew I wanted to do and everybody knows the main ones: Eiffel Tower, Sacré-Cœur, Notre-Dame Cathedral and the Louvre but ideally I really wanted to try some new things too, be it sights, sounds or tastes.

Sacre Coeur Paris France French Tourist architecture church cathedral montmartre
One place that kept popping up was Galeries Lafayette, on Boulevard Haussmann (be careful as there are two locations in Paris). Galeries Lafayette is to Paris what Harrods is to London. It houses a ridiculous amount of high-end brands such as Chloe, Gucci, Armani, Alexander McQueen and Roberto Cavalli, all of which are completely out of my price but who doesn't love looking at pretty, unobtainable clothes! 

The thing that really caught my eye about Lafayette was the stained glass dome ceiling. It's just one of those things that has to been seen, adored and photographed. Unfortunately I think I was a bit too adoring and my pictures really don't do it justice but should help you get the idea! 

Galeries Lafayette Paris France French designed shopping shop shops centre roof dome ceiling stained glass floorsGaleries Lafayette Paris France French designed shopping shop shops centre roof dome ceiling stained glass floors
Lafayette also hosts an array of cafés, restaurants and bars. During our visit we headed up to Cube Bar on the 6th floor terrace and were rewarded with panoramic views of Paris. I could have stayed there for hours, with a glass of over priced bubbles in hand taking it all in, but the boyfriend has a thing with heights, they really don't get on.

Back on safer-ground we visited the 'Library' on the 6th floor which hand a huge range of books for sale in a variety of languages. We headed over to the English books for a browse and stumbled across a cute French cuisine recipe book. Being a bit low on funds we took a snap our the Onion Soup recipe (favourite meal in Paris!) and moved on to stroke everything in the gift store instead.

Each floor boasts its own identity with the basement very much established as 'shoe heaven'. Lafayette have cleverly placed little stores round the outskirts of the 'heaven' so when you're feeling low on energy from trying on too many shoes (typing too many shoes feels dirty) then you can head over to a little boutique to snack on a macaron or two.

On the ground floor you can find all thing beauty related and with 172 brands I dare you not to find your favourite product. Another great feature of the ground floor, other than being
2,500m² of beauty bliss, is that it's the first floor where you see the famous Majorelle-designed dome ceiling.

Another personal fave has got to be the Disney Store...duh. Apparently the store hosts regular kids events with story tellers, drawing classes, shows and the chance to meet some characters. I didn't get picked to meet any characters which is odd...almost as though a 26 year old isn't their target audience! I satisfied my childish needs by singing along to Let It Go with all the arm actions and drama, much to my boyfriend's delight.

If being grown up and a bit more normal is more your thing, Galleries Lafayette actually hosts weekly fashion shows on Friday afternoons on the 4th floor around 3pm. Bookings can be made through this link. I'd definitely advise booking at least a month in advance to make sure you can get tickets.

Just like with China I'll do more posts on what we got up to in Paris and tips on where to visit and where to eat in the future.

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Nachos and Wine. Designed by OddThemes